For a quick, fiber-filled Valentine’s Day breakfast I made bran muffin hearts with my Mini Heart Baking Pan. If you don’t have heart pans you can bake part of the muffin batter in a 9×13 pan and cut out hearts with a cookie cutter. I used my family’s Icebox Bran Muffin recipe which is one of our favorites and served it with red raspberry jam. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 2 cups bran buds
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups flour
- 2½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup All Bran
- Pour boiling water over the bran buds and let them cool.
- Cream the sugar and the shortening.
- Add the eggs.
- Add the flour and baking soda alternately with the buttermilk.
- Add the cooled bran bud mix and the All Bran.
- Spoon the muffin batter into greased heart pans or a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes at 375 degrees until they are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- If you baked them in a large pan, cut them out with heart cookie cutters.
- Serve them warm or at room temperature with crushed red raspberries or jam.
To purchase the heart pan: Nordic Ware Cast-Aluminum Nonstick Baking Pan, Mini Hearts