This is a recipe from my mother-in-law. It is light and refreshing without being overly sweet. I love the fact that because the salad is loaded with fruits and candied pecans, you don’t have to use much salad dressing at all.
Fruit Salad with Teriyaki-Glazed Pecans
Author: Itsy Bitsy Foodies
Recipe type: Salad
This salad is light and refreshing without being overly sweet.
- 1-2 cups unpeeled and cored chopped apple (Honey Crisp or Golden Delicious)
- ½-1 cup diced celery
- ½-1 cup halved seedless grapes
- ½-1 cup packaged Craisins
- 1 small can of mandarin oranges, drained
- ½-1 cup teriyaki candied pecans (coarsely chopped or cut in quarters)
- 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 package shredded lettuce
- 1 to 2 Tbsp light raspberry vinaigrette
- Combine the pecan pieces, brown sugar, water and teriyaki sauce in a pan and sauté over medium heat.
- Let the liquid boil down as the pecans are heating.
- Let the candied pecans cool before adding them to the salad mixture.
- Combine the chopped apples, celery, grapes, Craisins, mandarin oranges, cooled pecans and raspberry vinaigrette.
- When ready to serve, toss the fruit mixture with the shredded lettuce.
- Leftovers keep better if the lettuce is stored separately. Once the salad is tossed with the vinaigrette, the lettuce will get soggy when stored overnight.