The recent April snow flurries got me daydreaming about hot chocolate and the creamy chocolaty flavor of whipped cream melting into my hot cocoa. These bites of swirled cream and chocolate are always my favorites. So, I decided to flavor my homemade whipped cream, incorporating that rich hot chocolate taste into each spoonful of whipped cream. All it takes is a splash of hot chocolate or instant hot cocoa mix whipped into your cream (not too much or you will have difficulty whipping the cream into peaks). It’s the perfect topper to a cup of hot chocolate and I can already imagine it incorporated into many other desserts.
- ½ pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp hot chocolate or instant hot cocoa mix, to taste
- ½ tsp vanilla, to taste
- ½ Tbsp sugar, to taste
- Mix the ingredients together and beat them on high using a hand-held mixer or a KitchenAid mixer with the whisk attachment.
- It will take several minutes for the liquid cream to transform into stiff peaks.
- TIP: If you beat the whipping cream until it is too stiff you can add more cream and continue beating it. This is also a good trick if you are using leftovers the next day because leftover whipped cream often starts to separate and lose its form. Simply add more cream (if need be) and whip it again.