Sun, Aug 8, 2010
Desserts, Disguising Healthy Foods, Foodgawker, Fun Family Activities, Holidays, Ice Cream & Frozen Treats, Itsy Bitsy Foodies Sightings, National Ice Cream Day, Search by Course, Snacks, TasteSpotting
Print This Recipe
I couldn’t wait to try this “ice cream” when I saw it recently on another foodie blog: Recipe Rhapsody. Could it be that bananas are the only ingredient and yet it has the creamy texture of ice cream? Unbelievably, yes!
It is so easy to make (you don’t even need an ice cream maker). And I love the fact that when my son now screams for ice cream, I can give him this — an elegant form of frozen bananas. It is the creamiest and at its best when made to order, so I now keep a bag of frozen banana slices in the freezer so that I can make it on demand.
For a special treat, I like to serve scoops of the banana “ice cream” into homemade ice cream “cone” cups and top them with homemade whipped cream and melted chocolate chips. Chocolate & banana “ice cream” is an equally satisfying frozen treat.
- Bananas, peeled and sliced (1-2 per serving)
- Homemade ice cream cones, optional
- Place the sliced bananas into a Ziploc bag and freeze them for several hours until they are completely hard.
- Put the frozen banana slices into a stand-up mixer or a food processor.
- Beat the bananas on medium-high until they start to break into chunks.
- At this point, stir them with a spoon to see if they start mashing up and getting creamy.
- Continue beating them in the mixer or pulsing them in the food processor until they are creamy.
- Scoop the banana “ice cream” into bowls or homemade ice cream cones and serve it immediately.
- If you are using a stand-up mixer, you might need to add a dash of milk to help beat the bananas because without a blade they don’t chop up as easily.
- For a slightly sweeter version, mix a dash of milk or cream and a dash of sugar (only about 1 Tbsp of each) into the bananas.
You might also like:
Chocolate & Banana “Ice Cream”
Electrolux #splits: Chocolate-Covered Banana Split
Mini Banana Nut Oatmeal Muffins