Sun, Aug 8, 2010
Print This Recipe
Now that I’m hooked on banana “ice cream” (an easy, creamy frozen dessert simply made of bananas) I decided to try adding chocolate, which is never a bad decision, in my opinion.
This dessert is so easy to make. Just like with the original one-ingredient version, it is the creamiest and at its best when made to order. I keep a bag of frozen banana slices in the freezer so that I can make it on demand, with or without chocolate. And with or without chocolate, it makes a special treat when served with homemade whipped cream in homemade ice cream “cone” cups.
- Bananas, peeled and sliced (1-2 per serving)
- Chocolate chips, chopped
- Homemade ice cream cones, optional
- Place the sliced bananas into a Ziploc bag and freeze them for several hours until they are completely hard.
- Put the frozen banana slices into a stand-up mixer or a food processor.
- Beat the bananas on medium-high until they start to break into chunks.
- At this point, stir them with a spoon to see if they start mashing up and getting creamy.
- Continue beating the bananas in the mixer or pulsing them in the food processor until they are creamy, stirring in the chopped chocolate at the end.
- Scoop the chocolate & banana “ice cream” into bowls or homemade ice cream cones and serve it immediately.
- If you are using a stand-up mixer, you might need to add a dash of milk to help beat the bananas because without a blade they don’t chop up as easily.
- For a slightly sweeter version, mix a dash of milk or cream and a dash of sugar (only about 1 Tbsp of each) into the bananas.