Tue, Dec 29, 2009
Print This Recipe
This chocolate cake is my “go-to” recipe for chocolate cupcakes and birthday cakes. In fact, I’ve pretty much stopped trying other chocolate cake recipes because this one is so good and everyone loves it! It’s moist and has the perfect balance of sweetness and chocolate. I like to ice it with buttercream frosting.
My grandma always made it, my mom has always made it and now I always make it. It came from one of my grandma’s cookbooks: Kitchen Secrets of The Daughters of Norway.
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pour the boiling water over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate melts.
- Cream the shortening and the sugar.
- Stir in the eggs and then add the melted chocolate/water mixture.
- Add the flour and baking soda alternately with the buttermilk and vanilla, mixing the ingredients together until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Or pour the batter into lined cupcake pans and bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until done.
- Or pour the batter into smaller greased and floured pans to form a layer cake and bake them for 35 minutes or until done.
Recipe source: Kitchen Secrets Of The Daughters Of Norway