Fri, Aug 3, 2012
Breakfast, Desserts, Disguising Healthy Foods, Dishfolio, Healthy Aperture, Honest Cooking, Itsy Bitsy Foodies Sightings, Miscellaneous, Pancakes, Waffles & More, Photograzing, Search by Course, Snacks
Print This Recipe
This PB&J parfait transforms one of my favorites – a peanut butter & jam sandwich – into a parfait that triples as a hearty breakfast, healthy snack and wholesome dessert. The options for pb&j combos are endless with different fruit and granola toppings. Some of my favorites are: almond butter with raspberry jam, peanut butter with banana and honey, and peanut butter with raspberry jam. I like to use homemade freezer jam and then top the parfait with blueberries, sliced banana, granola and any other fruit or berries.
These homemade parfaits are a great way to doctor your Greek yogurt yourself, controlling the amount of sugar and additives and getting creative with the fruit combos. And a bonus is that it’s cheaper to buy a tub of plain non-fat or low-fat Greek yogurt and make many parfaits out of it than to buy individual flavored Greek yogurts. If you don’t have freezer jam on hand, any berry puree will do.
- Non-fat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1+ spoonful of almond or peanut butter
- 2 spoonfuls of freezer jam
- Banana, sliced
- Granola, optional
- Scoop some plain Greek yogurt into each serving bowl.
- Add a spoonful of peanut or almond butter.
- Then add a spoonful of homemade berry jam.
- Repeat the layers, topping the parfait with sliced bananas, berries and granola if desired.