Sat, Jan 9, 2010
Print This Recipe
The inspiration for this recipe came from my brother-in-law. He used to own a successful Italian restaurant and made my family a to-die-for shrimp Alfredo a few years back. Of course, it was the real deal, full of heavy cream and butter. We wanted to duplicate this hearty comfort food but make it lighter. We recently made the following recipe using “half and half” instead of full cream and eliminating most of the butter. It still has the rich flavors and creamy texture but we don’t feel so guilty after each bite!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups “half and half”
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt, to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1½ Tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ lb shrimp, de-veined
- 2 cups fettuccine noodles
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the box.
- Sauté the garlic in 1 Tbsp butter over low heat.
- Add the “half and half” and the Parmesan cheese.
- Let the sauce simmer and bubble but do not let it burn, stirring it constantly.
- Add the seasonings and chopped fresh parsley.
- In a separate pan, sauté the shrimp in 1 Tbsp butter.
- The shrimp will turn from translucent to a solid pinkish color when they are done.
- Add the cooked shrimp to the simmering cream sauce.
- Mix in the cooked noodles and serve the pasta warm.
Click here to view a guide for selecting seafood.