Thu, Apr 5, 2012
Print This Recipe
Ever since I made my Roasted Tomato Bisque with Chipotle Cream I have been experimenting with vegetable soups, with and without cream. They are easy to make and provide another way of offering veggies to your family. In this comforting, creamy soup sans cream, warm hints of curry and ginger round out the natural sweetness of the carrots. It is a healthy, satisfying soup any time of year. Serve your kiddos the soup paired with a bunny grilled cheese sandwich, or for an even easier festive spring meal, serve the soup with Annie’s All-Natural bunny crackers instead of Saltines or oyster soup crackers.
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 medium-sized carrots
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced in half
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Splash of milk, to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp curry powder, to taste
- ¼ tsp ginger powder, to taste
- Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil and heat it over medium-high heat.
- Place the carrots, onion, garlic and tomato halves in the pan and roast them, flipping them occasionally so that all sides cook evenly.
- Once they are lightly browned, add a splash of the chicken broth, cover the pan, reduce the heat and let the veggies simmer until the carrots are soft and tender but not mushy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Blend the veggies in a blender, adding some more chicken broth if needed to make a smooth mixture.
- Return the veggie puree to the pan and add the remaining chicken broth.
- Add a splash of milk and let the soup simmer over medium heat.
- Season the soup to taste.