Fri, May 21, 2010
Print This Recipe
Pound cake was traditionally made with a pound of each of the following ingredients: butter, flour, eggs and sugar. Now there are many variations of pound cake around the world, including this recipe which has sour cream and is a popular style of cake in the United States.
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shortening or softened butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- Cream the sugar and the shortening/butter.
- Add the sour cream, eggs, vanilla and dry ingredients.
- Pour the smooth batter into a greased and floured bundt pan or a tube pan. (I usually use a tube pan because it has straight edges and a removable bottom so the cake slides out of the pan easily.)
- Bake the cake for 60 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for fifteen minutes prior to removing it.
- To remove the cake, gently slide a sharp knife around all of the edges to loosen it from the pan.
- Then place a plate over the top of the pan and flip it over to allow the cake to slide out of the pan.
- Let it cool completely.
- If desired, ice with a powdered sugar glaze.