Sat, Jul 2, 2011
Print This Recipe
Rice Krispie Treats are great for summer parties, barbeques and potlucks because they are quick, easy and always a crowd-pleaser. I typically make them plain but every once in a while I doctor them up a bit so that they are more festive. For the 4th of July I added red and blue M&M’s for a fun red, white and blue treat. I cut them into stars and flags to fit the theme.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 40 large marshmallows or 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 2-3 large spoonfuls of marshmallow creme
- ½-3/4 cup red and blue M&M’s
- Combine the cereal and the M&M’s in a bowl and mix them well.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir them constantly until they have completely dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the rice krispie cereal/M&M combo, working quickly to stir the melted marshmallows and cereal together before the marshmallow mixture starts to harden.
- Stir in a couple of spoonfuls of marshmallow creme to reach your desired consistency.
- Spread the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan.
- To prevent sticking, wet your hands with water or use a damp paper towel to press the rice krispie treats into the pan.
- Let the treats set for 15-20 minutes.
- Then cut some into rectangles and press M&M’s into the top to make flags.
- Use cookie cutters to cut others into stars.
- Store the treats in a sealed container or a Ziploc bag to prevent them from drying out.