Print This Recipe
This rich, gooey, caramel-like frosting is arguably the best part of a German chocolate cake. The chewiness of the shredded coconut paired with the crunch of the pecans and the sweetness of the evaporated milk makes for a frosting and filling that can be eaten by the spoonful.
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⅓ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Combine the evaporated milk, brown sugar and butter chunks in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring it occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Let the frosting cool and then use it to generously fill and ice German chocolate cake or cupcakes.
Cupcakes: Luscious bakeshop favorites from your home kitchen