Wed, Jun 15, 2011
Print This Recipe
It is easy to make make funfetti cupcakes (or a whole cake, for that matter) with the cake batter of your choice. They look just like the cake mix versions but taste much better! Making them from scratch allows you to pick sprinkles to match your color theme. I recently made them with white cake and they looked just like the cake mixes from the store but I have also made them in chocolate. Just add colored sprinkles to your batter (the shape of your choice) and they will melt into fun blobs of color inside your cupcakes as they bake. Decorating the cupcakes with buttercream frosting is the perfect finishing touch.
- 3½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1½ Tbsp oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1⅔ cups milk
- ½ cup plain, fat-free yogurt
- 2½ tsp vanilla
- 1 3 ounce jar colored sprinkles (confetti, stars or other shapes)
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Cream the butter, oil and sugar.
- Add the egg whites and beat well.
- Add the vanilla, milk and yogurt alternately with the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in the sprinkles.
- Pour the cake batter into greased or lined cupcake pans.
- Bake them at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the cupcakes are a light golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- The top of the cupcakes should spring back to the touch.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Beat the frosting on high until it is light and creamy.
*The plain white cake recipe comes from Cooking Light magazine, March 1998